2021 NFL Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Feb 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. D-Zum

    D-Zum Alex’s Ohvale Maintenance & Transport Service

    If they change his number to 15 maybe. Roman doesn’t coach LaMar to throw to numbers aside from 15 and 89.

    Myles Boykin is such a wasted talent there. I hate that for him. He’s got all the tools.
     
  2. lopitt85

    lopitt85 Well-Known Member

    I agree with a lot of what you say, which to me is more of a reason to know when to cut sling load and not tie yourself to someone who cant hack it.

    A stellar safety (or other defensive captain) does a lot of the same things as the "QB" of the defense. Read multiple levels of the offense, call audibles, know where everyone else is supposed to be, put others in the right spot, be a coach on the field. But if they cant hack it, they get replaced. I cant thinking a reason to give a QB who cant perform more leeway. In every scenario that I can think of it will only hurt the franchise more than if they cut the cord and move on, just like any other position.

    I also think the "touch the ball on every play" is over exaggerated a bit. Other than not fumbling the snap, they dont have much effect on the run game. Unless you count putting the offense at a deficit since they won't be blocking anyone. I know... there is the threat of play action, bootlegs or scrambles by mobile QBs, etc...but I think you understand what I'm getting at.

    Murray is young and still has a lot to prove, but I would argue that their organization is significantly better off with him at the helm. Where would they be if they held to the NFL tradition of giving a QB they drafted too many chances? They wouldnt have drafted Murray and they would still have Rosen there. Not good.

    I'm throwing out made up numbers here but I'd wager that the number of QBs that sucked when given their chance to play, and then ended up being special is small. I'd say 95% who stunk it up initially, never turned it around. The other 5 percent might be like Steve Young from Tampa to San Fran. A 95% historical rate would tell me to scrap a bum QB and move on to the next (like every other position) rather than to think I have one that is going to fall into the other 5% if I simply stick by him because...Quarterback.
     
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    BigBird likes this.
  3. D-Zum

    D-Zum Alex’s Ohvale Maintenance & Transport Service

    Agreed about the Defensive Capt. I spent the last 2 seasons of his career watching Ray Lewis squaring off against the best QB's in the league. Two Master chess players is fun to watch.
    And you're right about the QB's that become exceptional being very rare. Yes, the Cardinals are better off with Murray. No question. Rosen was a casualty of the coaching change from 2018 to 2019 in AZ. Kingsbury wanted his pick under center, and Kyler was his choice. Josh has never had the chance to develop.

    But even a Defensive Master doesn't have the ball in his hands every play. And it's not an exaggeration. Especially in today's Run/Pass Option calls. A QB is deciding to hand off or hold the ball, then if he holds it, he's deciding to run himself or pass all on the fly during the play as it's happening as an example.

    Teams only cut a QB when it's clearly not working. Examples today include Haskins in Washington, and again Rosen in AZ.

    Look at the Bills. Josh Allen wasn't setting the world on fire in his first two years. Sean McDermott and the new GM of the Bills invested their futures around picking him to lead their team. He's part of why they were hired. They're futures are married. A new coach cannot put his team in place in year 1, or even year 2. They inherited a roster from the prior coaching staff that might not have been ideal for their philosphy/style. Just on defense if they want to run a 3-4 defense and the prior coach ran a 4-3, that's a huge switch. Anyway, Buffalo has
    spent 2 seasons of Free Agency and 2 drafts refining the team to suit Sean McDermott's scheme. Seems like Stephon Diggs was the final piece to complete the the build. Josh Allen's had 2 years to learn the offense, work on his mechanics, and read progressions, and the Bills Mafia got to enjoy an AFC Championship game. Now their nothing to be taken lightlyin the AFC East. Even if Wild Bill Bawston finds his QB to replace Tawm, Buffalo isn't going to lay down and piss themselves for New England anymore.
     
    BigBird and lopitt85 like this.
  4. BigBird

    BigBird blah

    well the Giants seem to be going all-in on Daniel Jones....basically going with the old school, he can get better. He's been injured a bunch and well fumbles at least twice a game.

    Definitely the tools you want in your franchise QB. :rolleyes:
     
  5. kenessex

    kenessex unregistered user

    I think that some teams hurt the career of young QBs that aren't working out for them for some reason. I wonder how well a Daniel Jones type might do with a different coaching philosophy or a chance to play behind a really good QB for a couple of years? I wish that Foles would have worked out better for the Bears so Trubiski would have had a chance to watch and learn.
     
  6. Spang308

    Spang308 Well-Known Member

    LOL, Trubisky sucks and outside of DeAndre Hopkins getting dished to the Cardinals for basically nothing of any value in return, may be the worst GM decision in the last decade to choose him over Deshaun Watson.
    Mitch had one year as a starter under his belt for the Tarheels and nothing in that season demonstrated he was anywhere close to a guy that finished 2nd in the Heisman and just beat Bama to win a national championship.
     
    OGs750 and lopitt85 like this.
  7. lopitt85

    lopitt85 Well-Known Member

    When they jumped up to take Trubisky that high they passed on Mahomes too, didnt they?
     
  8. Spang308

    Spang308 Well-Known Member

    No Mahomes was already off the board. Giving credit where it's due, I'm unsure if Mahomes is better than Watson, but he sure has justified his early draft grade and has a SB ring and 2 division championships, so he's anything but a bust like Mitch was.
    Edit: I stand corrected. Mitch was taken 2nd overall, Mahomes 10th overall and Watson 12th overall, so you're correct. Mahomes was off mosts radar, so that can be forgiven. Watson was a star in college with credentials to back it up.
     
    BigBird likes this.
  9. BigBird

    BigBird blah

    well they had Eli, 2x Super Bowl MVP, a professional and never injured QB. They also had one of the worst offensive lines for about 7 years. Not sure many QBs could do well unless they were mobile. A Deshaun Watson would be amazing.
     
  10. kenessex

    kenessex unregistered user

    I am not saying Trubiski is ever going to be a great qb, I am saying that he will always suck with the Bears and keeping him there doesn't do him any good as he might be pretty good in another system with a good qb coach and a couple of years as a backup watching a great qb. The Bears are also not doing themselves any favors by keeping him. They need somebody new and not a has been reject from another team.
     
    BigBird likes this.
  11. Sabre699

    Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

    A new home for Kaepernick ??
     
  12. kenessex

    kenessex unregistered user

    I watched an Antonio Brown interview after the Super Bowl and was impressed with his humility and maturity. Two aspect he has not shown much in the past. He came across as pretty likable and an asset to a team. Until Kaepernick can demonstrate some humility and maturity, there should be no home for him in the NFL. I have zero respect for him.
     
  13. Sabre699

    Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

    I was being sarcastic Ken and tugging your chain.
    He's so out of the loop I wouldn't worry about his triumphant return.
     
  14. kenessex

    kenessex unregistered user

    Oh, I caught the sarcasm, it just provided me another opportunity to give an up to AB and to bust on that little bitch, again. That sumbitch just rubs me the wrong way. Entitled little prick.
     
  15. Sabre699

    Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you might think he sucks...:D
     
  16. Past Glory

    Past Glory Well-Known Member

    Just angry that he'll never have what it takes to risk everything rather than sit back and do nothing.
     
  17. kenessex

    kenessex unregistered user

    Yeah, that too.
     
  18. Spang308

    Spang308 Well-Known Member

    Yeah, except he was picked #2 overall in the draft. That's not a carry a clipboard and learn for a few years behind a veteran draft number. If they grabbed him in the 3rd round, I'll buy that. He was the 2nd overall pick and selected before Mahomes (which is forgivable, as he was under the radar) and Watson fresh off a 500 yard offensive performance against Bama in the natty.
    The Bears wasted an early draft pick on him. End of story. He hasn't progressed or honestly at any moment, shown promise of even being a winning starter, let alone a post season winning QB.
     
  19. Christopher Graybosch

    Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

    That’s not really a limb. He’s trash
     
  20. Spang308

    Spang308 Well-Known Member

    We agree here. Antonio Brown has been taken under Brady's wing as some sort of father figure roll. Not sure what Brady sees in AB but he welcomed him to NE with open arms and brought him to Tampa and had him move in with him, at least for awhile. He's either TB's pet project or he really truly believes he's an exceptional weapon. He was low key the Bucs leading scorer down the stretch. In fact, of the 4 TD's the Bucs scored in the SB, none of them were on the team in 2019. Two from TB to Gronk, 1 TB to AB and one run in by Fournette. All free agents now except Brady.
     

Share This Page